Friday, November 1, 2013

I Always Knew That SurrenderDorothy Was Full Of Hot Air

After years of listening to this seller bitch, moan, and complain in the Etsy forum about how Etsy treats it's customers (sellers) and going on and on about how if she treated her customers as Etsy did she would be out of business I am now 100% convinced that SurrenderDorothy simply loved the sound of her own voice. I say "loved" and not "loves" because if I remember correctly she has been perma-muted (something that I had nothing to do with as I wasn't even a member of Etsy at the time it happened).

What convinces me that she simply loved the sound of her own voice? Well let's take a look. When someone states that they would be out of business if they treat their customers the way Etsy does then when I look at that person's feedback I would expect to see exemplary feedback. However that is not the case with SurrenderDorothy.
(that comment you can find here at CreativeBreakroom if it still exists):
http://www.creativebreakroom.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2198&hilit=SurrenderDorothy&start=200


Take a gander for yourself:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SurrenderDorothy/reviews?ref=shop_info

Feedback after feedback where this seller refuses to ship, is extremely slow to ship, and then simply refuses to communicate with her customers. This has gone on throughout her selling career on Etsy, and a lot of it is recent. Here are some examples:

Hammered Aluminum Covered Serving Dish Quince Pattern 1950s Mid Century Vintage
 I never received this item or any communication. I hope this seller is okay. I still would like to purchase this if the owner is still in business.
 
Temporama Dinner Plates Canonsburg Vintage Set Three Mid Century Classic White & Aqua Atomic Age 1960s USA
 More than disappointed, this seller never shipped, sat on my money for over a month and responded only once to my emails. I had to go through a paypal dispute to get my $$ back and I am not the only who has had this problem with this seller! My first bad encounter since I joined Etsy!
 
Orbit Planet Mars Earth Venus Mercury Victorian Astronomy 1892 Natural History Solar System Engraving To Frame
Never received this order. Unresponsive seller. I'll never do it again.
 
Autumn Gold Teacup Saucer Century Service Corp Set Of Two 22k Gold Trim Mid Century China 1950s 1960s
 Never received my order. Seller has stopped communication. This is my first bad experience with Etsy. Looks like others have had a good experience but you are taking a chance when you deal with this seller.
 
Egyptian Vulture Goddess Nekhebet Gold Collar King Tut Mummy Lithograph Ancient Natural History 1930s Art For Framing
Item never came. I purchase a lot through Etsy and this has never happened to me. Seller does not seem to care. Ignores my emails. I notice similar complaints from previous customers. Buyer beware.

 Starfish Giant Basket Star & Coral Haeckel Print Natural History Oceanography Victorian Scientific Lithograph To Frame                                                    
Was billed for, but never received item. Tried to contact seller for over a month with no reply. Finally had to go through paypal to dispute transaction. My first bad etsy experience in years of using this site. Too bad because this shop has amazing stuff and it looks like many other buyers have had good experiences. Not sure where the disconnect happened. Oh well.

Basimycetes Basidiomycetes Schwammpilze Mushroom Spores Vintage Haeckel Print Botanical Victorian Scientific Lithograph
Was billed for, but never received item. Tried to contact seller for over a month with no reply. Finally had to go through paypal to dispute transaction. My first bad etsy experience in years of using this site. Too bad because this shop has amazing stuff and it looks like many other buyers have had good experiences. Not sure where the disconnect happened. Oh well.
 
Cicada Leaf Hopper Chart 1907 Vintage Edwardian Entomology Natural History Rotogravure XXV Antique Illustration To Frame
My item did not arrive, but the seller worked with me to get a refund.

British Redware Teapot w Infuser Strainer Basket Half Pint English Breakfast Kitchen Serving 1950s England
Dont know what happened, seller never communicated and item never sent. Did get full refund.

Lynnwood Teacups & Saucers Century Service Corp Set Of Two Platinum Trim Mid Century China 1950s 1960s
It has been six weeks since I ordered, and I have not yet received these cups. Something must have gone wrong with the shop, for there is no conversation happening about this. I am disappointed.
 
Vintage Bead & Butter Plate Homer Laughlin Eggshell Nautilus Ferndale 22k Gold Trim Mid Century China 1940s                                                    
The plates are described accurately. The mishap in shipping although, could of been a lot smoother had there been more communication from the seller. Also, shipping price was exorbitant which I realized later. Seller also agreed to give me a price break since I bought more than one plate and they never did. Not very happy with this experience.
 
Goldilocks Tries The Chairs Maginel Wright Enwright Vintage Children's Nursery Print To Frame 1923
Never recieved item. Had an issue with the seller telling me she had sent it to wrong address (she is supposedly currently having personal issues with death in the family, but should really put that somewhere so people are aware) but had recieved it back and was going to mail it my way. Never happened and never heard from her again. Currently trying to get my refund back.
 
Inside The Atom Hans Erni Physics Scientific Atomic Age Lithograph Print To Frame 1950s
Great stuff but 2months wait time without responses.

Hummingbird & Antelope Haeckel Print Vintage Natural History Ornithology Bird Victorian Scientific Lithograph To Frame
Didn't respond to emails.
 
Now this is just the first few pages of her feedback. And granted some people could have received their items after they left feedback. However IMHO there is NO EXCUSE to just stop communicating with people who have bought from you. I also see that there was a death in her family and I am sorry about that. However there is also a way to put your shop on vacation mode so people can't purchase from it if you are having an emergency.
 
I mean why let your buyers continue to buy stuff you have no fucking intention of shipping and then let them think maybe it's YOU who was the death in the family considering your refusal to communicate? Why put people through this unnecessarily? Why not just put your shop on vacation mode until you feel like taking care of it?
 
And this recent death in the family cannot be the only problem with this shop as if you page back through her feedback you will see that people not getting what they bought, and being made to file a dispute to get their money back, and the seller's refusal to communicate far predates this recent death in the family. It goes way, way back.
 
So back to being put out of business for treating customers the way Etsy treats theirs-what is really so different about the two? Etsy does exactly what the hell they want to even if it's not fair, and if they don't feel like fucking with you they just ignore you. And so does this seller. She ships whenever the hell she feels like it, gets back to you whenever the hell she feels like it, and if she doesn't feel like it then she just refuses to communicate. She ignores her customers just as Etsy does their's. None of this is any more fair to her customers than when Etsy does it to theirs IMHO. So you might say when you point a finger at someone else four point back at you and that is the case here IMHO.
 
Now there are those who believe that when I was on Etsy I was there with the hidden agenda to ruin seller's lives. This was not the case. For one thing I didn't know any of these people before I got to Etsy and the forum, so why would I have a hidden agenda against them?
 
 However I will agree that once I got there I quickly tired of listening to some of these people drone on and on day after FUCKING day about how they were so fucking mistreated by Etsy and blah blah blah.  And what I WILL confess to is that I greatly enjoyed interrupting their little flow they had going on upon occasion, and this is what I meant when someone asked me why I did some of the stuff I did and I replied "Because I could".
 
 It had nothing to do with trying to ruin their reputation, or get them muted, or getting their shops shut down. Many of them managed to this quite well on their own. And this seller is no exception. She got herself muted and her store feedback and/or reputation is what it is due to her own damn fault. Except her shop is still there, and Etsy is still there-even though in a lot of people's opinions they both suck at what they do. 
 
I would say her treatment by Etsy has been fair-considering.  Her treatment by Etsy is a hell of a lot more fair than SurrenderDorothy's treatment of her own customer's IMHO because SurrenderDorothy can leave Etsy any fucking time she gets tired of Etsy's treatment. But she hasn't-her ass is still planted right there. And it's my belief that if Etsy said "Hey, SurrenderDorothy, come on back to the forum!" she'd be there so fast she'd probably pass herself getting there. In the meantime she puts her customers through hell trying to get what they ordered or there money back and more times than not just refusing to communicate to them all. You tell me which is more fair.
 
I always knew she was full of hot air because IMHO anyone who has drone on and on and create drama all the time is probably doing it to take attention off of something else. Like how much they suck at being a seller for instance.
 
Why Etsy lets sellers get away with shit like this forever is beyond me. Well actually it really isn't beyond me. It's because Etsy has never given a damn about buyers, and instead has chosen to focus on sellers even if it is to the detriment of people who sign up in good faith as buyers on Etsy. Sad state of affairs isn't it?
 
PD

9 comments:

mizdarlin said...

Isn't it interesting that someone with that sort of continuously bad Feedback is allowed to continue to sell?
*Sigh*
Just goes to show that you were muted because they weren't making any money off you...not because of what you had to say..
Money is their only god, and they recently sent out a letter 'explaining' their 'new policy' of accepting factories as co-ops, or something equally ridiculous about how many people are allowed to manufacture something and still be eligible to sell on Etsy..seems like every reseller in the world is 'qualified' now..
They have wel and truly lost their mandate, and it's all about making money and to hell with handmade...
I'm gonna slowly let my stuff expire, but keep the 'shop' for the few mail orders I get from people who are tourists and see my stuff here, then want to order from home..that's all Etsy is good for any more..

PussDaddy said...

Well mizdarlin it came as no surprise to me or anyone else that I got muted, lol.

But in some ways what you said is true-I think they got away with running their mouths on the forum way longer than I did because Etsy can make more money off of sellers what with their endless relisting to stay on top of the search food chain all the time and other fees they paid.

Buyer's only make money for Etsy if at that given moment they are buying something. And no doubt I did plenty of buying, but it probably paled in comparison to what all these sellers paid to be on Etsy.

Then came the day when Etsy realized they didn't give a shit anymore and they were tired of listening to this crap day in and day out and that they didn't have to anymore as they could get rid of a seller and get another one just like them, so they muted their asses too finally.

As to why Etsy let's sellers keep treating their customers like this-I think it's pretty clear that Etsy caters to the sellers and buyers are a low priority-that's just the way it has always been. And Etsy has stated their priority is to help the seller stop being an asshole and straighten up and that is where their focus is IMHO.

My husband used to tell me these handmade sites were just scams that were full of shit but I always defended them because there ARE lots of lovely sellers selling wonderful things they did actually handmake. And it's those who I feel sorry for now that Etsy has taken the path it has decided to take.

I do have a Zibbet account which I plan to keep to buy handmade from. I sincerely hope it doesn't go the same direction as Artfire and Etsy. I admit tho that Artfire doing it didn't surprise me considering what they sold before opening ArtFire. I didn't think Etsy would follow suit although I did make a blog post a while back asking if it's possible it might happen.

For most of these sites it's all about the Benjamins-always has been and always will be. I guess they feel they have to make a living too and this is the way to go.

PD

mizdarlin said...

I had a Zibbet account for a couple of years, but never sold anything, so stopped it..I may have to rethink that position as it'
s better to have an online presence than none. I don't Faceplant and definitely not a Twit-type it's all that is left, unless and until I can afford to set up[ my own website, with a shopping cart..see, that's the rub, it's expensive to be independent, whereas I can have all that for 20 cents a month on Etsy..it just annoys the livin' hell outtta me...

Anonymous said...

There has been something fishy with that shop forever! IMHO, she LOVES that she was muted, it just gives her a platform to moan and groan to her adoring audience. She's full of shit and always has been. I look at her feedback occasionally for shits and giggles and wonder why Etsy hasn't pulled her plug yet.

Have a great holiday season, Puss! Glad to see you blogging again!

PussDaddy said...

You have a great holiday season too anonymous.

PD

Rhonda Morrell said...

dang.. I am amazed at all of the bad reviews and comments about how the seller does not even acknowledge the buyers' questions.... even Fleebay would not allow this type of seller behavior and I am surprised that the amount of buyers stating that they were unsatisfied with communication and receiving the product has not had an impact on Surrenders' ability to sell on Etsy and to accept Paypal there.

PussDaddy said...

Etsy doesn't really give a hairy rat's ass. In fact, when I asked Etsy why they let PoetSummer continue to take people's money and not deliver anything they told me that their goal is to give the seller every chance available to correct their situation.

Who gives a fuck if several buyers have to suffer through seller bullshit in the meantime?

Etsy has never been about buyers IMHO. It has always been about sellers. And Etsy itself. Never about buyers.

PD

Susan Averello said...

Damn I hope I never get on your bad side. :-)

PussDaddy said...

She and I have always been on each other's bad side.

PD